Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blending? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycon73

Mechanical
Jun 16, 2004
US
Hi UG or CAD World.....

I'm using UG NX2. I'm attempting to make a part that needs some precision type blends in it. Looking from the side view, the top surface in which I need to blend is kind of a "S" shape. Along the top edges, I need to have a 2.5 R on it, which is fairly easy to do.

Looking from a front view, I also need to have a 12.8 R that "glides" along the "S" shape top surface. Problem is, when I blend the two together, it either comes out funny looking or creates some hard edges that I don't want.

I've tried sweekping the surfaces numerous different ways. Perhaps, some of you have other suggestions, such as Free-form features. Unfortunately, we don't have a liciense for this.

Thanks

Jason Misztal
Power Tool CAD Designer
Marquardt Switches Inc.
Syracuse, NY

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi EwH,

I was using edge blends... but I have also tried some face blends. I got similar results. Perhaps, I'm not picking something right.

Jason Misztal
Power Tool CAD Designer
Marquardt Switches Inc.
Syracuse, NY

Can you post a pic?

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP3.0 on WinXP SP2

A picture would definitely help. While blend functionality has improved, I still run into difficult problems occasionally, especially on lofted surfaces.

Jason,

How are things going?

You don't actually send pictures or attach your files to the post but insert a link to a public accessible site that you can link to. For instance there are a few photo sites that allow you to create albums by uploading pictures from cameras or your computer so they can be printed out. For instance I have an image that should be viewable at

to show this in the post just put
"img in [""] and you should get your image displayed.
f084dfc8.jpg

To find out more about how to make posts look better check out or print the information screen you get when you select the Process TGML link above the Submit Post button.

Michael

[wavey3]

Hi Jason,

Since you don't use free forms, I would use the "Soft Blend" feature.

You already know the tangency distance from edge to be blended. You can use a section curve or a sketch, etc to generate a curve at the desired location.

The edge you want to blend can be used as the spine for the blend.

I think screen captures of your model near the area you're trying to blend would help more than a drawing with unreadable dimensions. Images are way too small.

If you're simply trying to apply a variable radius blend, read the documentation for how to use this in NX, as it can provide more information for you than I have time to type. You can also look into a Tangency Controlled Face Blend.

If you decide to use the Soft Blend route, I would suggest applying the Edge Blends as you did the first time & extracting the tangent edges for use with the Soft Blend, then deleting the Edge Blends. After you extract the edges, you can replace any aethetically displeasing curves with smoother Bridge Curves, then project them onto the surface(s) as needed. Keep in mind, you cannot input numerical values to control Soft Blends. The radius is only controlled by tangent hold lines.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Jason...have you tried specifying points and applying different radius values at those points from within the standard edge blend function?

I'll assume that's a button in your drawing. It's very similar to a lot of shifter knob buttons that I do. That edge blend function works 9 out of 10 times for me. When it doesn't work I use the soft blend method that Tim just outlined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back