Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Blinking Lights 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

markstg

Industrial
Aug 22, 2006
US
At my house I have a 5 ton, 2 stage scroll compressor condensing unit, and my house lights blink on the unit starting.
Specs are 118 LRA, 230V, 23 FLA.

Lamps are incandescent 130 V.
Service size is 200A, 120/240V, single phase
Measurements at the unit disconnect switch are:
Normal Voltage 246 V
Starting Voltage: 231 V
Starting Amps: 121 A
Running Amps: 10 A (Low Stage)
Starting time: 1 second.
Start is on Low stage.

This is on a 1 year old house and has done this since installed.
There is no issue when the compressor goes from low stage to high stage.

Neutrals have all been checked, Meter, Panelboard, and are all tight.

Power compnay service is: 50KVA transformer, 7 Houses on overhead lateral, my service drop from lateral tap to service is 80ft., lateral distance tap to transformer is 120ft. POCO conductors are aluminum don't know size. POCO not interested in my blinking lights with such small voltage drop.

Attached is the Power company recording of Voltage and Current at my service.

I was thinking placing a capacitor at my service may mitigate the dimming lights. Any thoughts.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=54b0a051-cbde-49a3-9fbf-63c08ad6514c&file=Smith_Power_Quality_Recording.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My understanding is that a hard start kit switches in more capacitance in parallel with the start capacitor, which is in series with a start winding but not the run winding. Most of the discussion above seems to be about capacitors across the line but in many cases the comments are not explicitly clear or seem contradictory. So I think Bronzeado's point has not yet been addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back