Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yogibear

Mechanical
Sep 5, 2002
US
Has anyone found a way to be able to insert a block into a model. What I have is a valve model and an acad sketch of the footprint. I would like to be able to use that footprint as the base of my SW sketch. I know you can put it in and move it around with a no solve move but that seems cumbersome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look in SW Help for "Insert, DXF/DWG files". I think this might be what you are looking for.

Wanna Tip? faq731-376
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Yes that is basically what I want to do but when you bring in the sketch it is individual entities and you can't move the sketch unless you do a no solve move.

Another way to do that:
- open the dwg file with SW (not insert file)
- select import as new drawing
- once the drawing opened, select the entities needed
- Tools/Block/Make
- RMC on the block, select Save to file

Regards

You can move entire groups of sketch entities using the tools in the 2D to 3D toolbox.

[bat]You don't fight destiny, no sir... and you don't eat crackers in the bed of your future![bat]

The easiest way I have found to import autocad sketches to a SW part is to first orient the acad file relative to 0,0 in acad and open the acad file as a drawing in SW. open a sketch on your part, use "insert sketch from drawing", toggle to the SW dwg, select entities, toggle back to part and your sketch will in the same location relative to the origin as it was to 0,0 in acad. Hence no need to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back