Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blow out fuses of capasitor bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

erputra0615

Electrical
May 31, 2010
ID
Hai all...i would apriciate all of you to explain of me..
may question: could u tell me what main cused of fuses capacitor bank on distribution line burn out..( capacitor bank 300KVAR) system 13.8KV
thnks before

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

About the only thing that causes fuses to blow is too much current. Not enough information to figure out why you might be seeing too much current. What kind of damage are you seeing on your capacitors?

How about The Harmonics on distribution lines it's culd be effect of blow -out fuses of capacitor bank unit
and why the curent is too much at capacitor bank..?

thanks..for your help

What fuse rating are you using?

Are these switched or fixed capacitor banks?

Are the capacitors individually fused? Are you blowing the main fuses? Is it the same one all of the time? Is the capacitor bank enclosed, outdoors? We have had birds, raccoons and cats step across our old 410kvar 23kv cap bank in our outdoor substaion. You should see what that does to a small animal--not pretty. We have since replaced the old bank with a fully enclosed one. What about lightning strikes, transients? What kind of load are you feeding? We have a fixed bank feeding an electric arc furnace. These can at times single phase as well as other things that can demand above full load current for brief periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back