Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Blower Motor 1/3 HP 5 wire? How to wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford

Electrical
Jun 16, 2000
US
Have a Franklin Blower motor 115V 1100 RPM 10MFD/370VAC PH1 Cont. AIR OVER.<br>Has usual Blk/Wht wires in addition it has Blue,Red, Yellow.<br>Can anyone tell me which wires do what?<br>I know the Black runs at full Speed but the others run slower. No wiring diagram on motor.<br>Thanks<br><A HREF="mailto:Fordeatall@aol.com">Fordeatall@aol.com</A>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The motor you are talking about is a three phase motor? if so three wires are for the LIVE current another one is for GROUND and the fifth is for NEUTRAL or most people call it RETURN, in this case the live wires A-B-C would run the machine in one direction and if any two wires are switched the motor moves in the other direction, but the thing is the color codings, well here in our country, its different, Our GROUND is usually yellow or GREEN, NEUTRAL is BLACK, and we use and three different color for the 3 live wires.<br><br>Another option could be that it is a 2PH motor, but I can't comment on this as I too had&nbsp;&nbsp;hard times with this one, ofocurse it did'nt blow up, just kidding..<br><br>Its best to have some electrician have a look inside the motor or contact the company directly for info.GODD LUCK

Your Franklin blower motor sounds by the size of the capacitor may be a motor for your furnace and or central air in your home.&nbsp;&nbsp;As you stated, its a single phase 115 volts.&nbsp;&nbsp;In most cases the white wire is your neutral wire with the black as your high speed. Even the nameplate states 1100 rpm, the others wires are used for a lower speed.&nbsp;&nbsp;The combination connection (black & white) wires are used for the highest speed.&nbsp;&nbsp;You use the white (neutral) wire&nbsp;&nbsp;at all times at 115 volts. So your white& yellow would run at a lower speed, white &red a lower speed yet, then finally white & blue for the lowest speed. While any of these combinations are used the other wires should be capped off.&nbsp;&nbsp;Hoped this helped.&nbsp;&nbsp;As stated before, you should always get a qualified electric motor mechanic if you have doubts.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back