Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blown-In Insulation Value Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoteControlFF

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2008
US
Does anyone have any experience using blown-in insulation to fill concealed combustible construction as opposed to sprinkling them?

I have a space that is totally dead above a built in closet, no wire runs, no ducts, no pipe, just a wood framed void.

The area is 2'-0 x 1'6 x 3'-0(h) and I have about 30 identical spaces in the building. If I sprinkle them, it'll be an expensive head (TYCO CC1 per the Blazemaster listing)and fitter time getting it in there, but I'm not sure what the cost per cubic foot would be to fill it - or even if that sort of volume is possible (I don't think I’ve seen the stuff piled 3' high before).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My big concern is combustibility of the insulating material. As long as the material has a heat release release rate < 1000 BTU/Sq.Ft., in accordance with Section 8.14.1.2.12 and a flame spread rating of 25 or less (see Section 8.14.1.2.10), I would not have an issue with the use of a blown in insulation.

It is an NFPA 13 system for a Nursing Home retrofit, so we have to deal with the concealed spaces one way or another.

Stookey -- Thanks for the cite re: heat release and flame spread. I get the feeling that this idea will get shot down simply because it is outside the norm but it has been interesting working out the logistics and seeing if it would be cost effective.

"we're a sprinkler contractor not an insulation contractor!!" is what I'm sure I will hear from some folks :)

My understanding is that the AHJs in our area are not allowing for this exemption (8.14.1.2.9) in nursing homes at this time - our company has already had to go back to one location and install protection in a similar scenario because the inspector "didn't like" that it was un-sprinkled.

If it were me, I'd fight the decision, but all of these nursing homes are in the special situation (my understanding) of losing their federal funding if they are not in compliance by the end of the year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back