Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bmw n57 diesel swap into Toyota Hilux? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjworks

Industrial
Apr 8, 2012
Hello Im new here. I have some basic knowledge about cars and would to learn anything helpful.
I have a 2007 Toyota Hilux Vigo but it needs an engine, would it be possible to swap a Bmw n57 from a Bmw X5 into it?

What type of modifications would be needed to fit such an engine?

How much would the gear ratios affect the gear ratios affect performance?

Can this engine withstand low gearing compression?

Also do sequential turbocharged diesel engines better that single turbocharged diesel engines? Or VGT Turbo v.s Bi-Turbo?

How would the Ford Puma 3.2 lt Straight 5 Single VGT Turbo compare to BMW's N57?

Any response would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you manage to make the entire engine, ECU, MAF & fuel system from the donor at home in the donee, legal obstacles related to emissions & registration may remain.

You might be better off finding a hilux in a scrap yard that has hit whatever large animal they do in whatever part of the world you may be, and pull the engine out.

If you are in the U.S., the EPA will not let you drive a hilux on the road.

If it's legal, and emissions aren't controlled there, I'd look to grab the complete engine, ECU & fuel system from the BMW. If that was available and I could make it work, I'd look to see if there was any way to make it fit.

I have no experience with contemporary diesel engines. My instinct would be repair or locate and replace with a like engine if it's failed, or find out how to modify the ECU program for performance if that's what you're after.

I have heard that the reason why BMW never created the BMW X5 with a low gear ratio is because the n57 engine has an aluminium head and cannot withstand the compression stress from the low gearing. HOW TRUE IS THAT, considering my pick-up has 4 wheel drive with low range gearing and I would use my low range for working the vehicle?

The main issue with low range is the extra torque applied to the drive train downstream of the reduction box. Like Mike says, extra compression stress is garbage. It is totally independent of gearing.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

So, CJWorks, as an engineer, surely you performed an engineering analysis on your proposed project, didnt you?

During your engineering analysys, you would have determined the critical factors for the practicality of the engine swap, such as the proper size and location when drilling the mounting bollards, especially the left bollard. NEVER drill out the right bollard as the attached clevis pin would not fit properly, requiring a new design for the muffler cushions.

Further, the Johnson shaft must absolutely mesh with the Zebco reel. If this is not performed to the manufacturers specifications, the engine will run in reverse, giving you 1 forward gear and 5 reverse gears.

Franz

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back