Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boardwalk Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOHSEngineer

Civil/Environmental
Oct 30, 2008
US
I am currently the in-house design engineer for a small town. We are designing a boardwalk in an environmentally sensitive area. I've been working as a land development engineer for the past 8 years but I have little structural design experience besides what I learned in school so many years ago.

We are trying to develop a typical detail for boardwalks in town. This detail will be 10-20' straight section and will call out types and sizes of lumbar and mechanical connectors. We have consulted with a structural design firm and they quoted us $10k to seal the detail! The boardwalk will be subject to service vehicle loads.

So here is my question: Do you think I could study up on structural design and seal the detail myself? If so, what parts of the design do I need to look into? Can you suggest any books or classes?

Or, am I getting in over my head - should we just pay the $10k and be done with it? I like to learn as much as possible and it seems like this would be a challenge I could handle. Thanks for your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While I won't comment on a dollar amount I will say that the design of a timber structure to support vehicular loads and public access is a very big deal and not to be underestimated.

If you want to design it yourself you're looking at learning ASCE7, AASHTO, NDS... not to mention the foundations if it is environmentally sensitive and therefore probably to be located on less-than-ideal subsoils. Daunting stuff if you've been out of it for a while.

ToadJones,
lets not encourage the busy of undercutting.

10k is less than I would charge for a standard detail. If it was me I would charge the council $2000 a time and not create a "standard". This is ideal as you will find over time they will want to change the details, even look into completely replacing the timber.

I am willing to bet my left nut that the rate of deterioration is great than the rate of maintenance required. Having just been in discussions to replace a 2000m long board wall with FRP members with a council (close to the coast in this instance), looks like they will take the option even thought it cost 2x the timber cost, but has no maintenance. I see this being a common request from council in the future.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that they like it

Thanks guys, seems like maybe I should leave it to the experts. :( Was looking forward to CADing up some nice straight lines for a change.

Rowingengineer:
Not sure how I was encouraging undercutting.
Getting one quote for anything is ill-advised.
I get more than one price for new boots.

As far as my breakdown, I was just trying to show that $10k can evaporate quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back