Boat slip Design Ref 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGill10

Structural
Apr 29, 2009
US
Hello engineers,
I am in a process of designing a facility for Boat slip. It is to be covered and need spaces for 20 boats. The site is a lake near Dallas, TX.
We are asked that it is to be of floating type.
Any reference materials,books,design guides, tips and thum rules will be grealty appreciated. As always your desing experience sharing and recommendation too..
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you or anyone in your firm ever designed a marina before? If not, then you probably shouldn't take on this project (or hire somebody who has). A lot can go wrong with these. You don't say how big the boats are, but you can easily have $10-15 million in personal property tied up to this thing in addition to construction costs and damages due to suspension of operation if there is a failure.

I design marinas.

The above mentioned reports are a good start to layout and spacing.

I know at least in Florida the floating dock manufacturer supplies all plans for the floating docks. The Civil (or coastal) engineer supplies the overall layout and anchor piling design. You will need to design the anchor piling of sufficient moment capacity and embedment to resist wave and wind action acting on the boats and docks during a storm event.

As the first post said I would also be hesitant to accept the job if this is a one off design. There is a lot involved from enviromental permitting to riprarian rights to submerged land leases to fire suppression requirements...... and so on.

-All The Best

Good resources and suggestions from all of you and thank you for all that.
For this, we have marina layout from civil/Arch form and coordinating with dock mfrs.We are mainly focusing on the superstructure(shed),but need the understanding of overall systems as well. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back