Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bobcad-cam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

limba

Industrial
Nov 1, 2004
CA
I have a small machine shop and am looking to buy a cad-cam package to help with programming on the 2 axis lathe with the option to also use on a mill in the future.
I have been offered a good price for the Bobcad V20 version.
Is Bobcad a good, user-friendly program?
How does it compare to MasterCam of which I've seen a demo but am also aware of a much higher price.
Or is there a better entry level program?
Thanks in advance, Leon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Its a very good one, I've used it since its DOS version. Really, really good. It is really easy to use and does most of the work that we handle. Its the best choice for its price.
If you use it for a 2 axis lathe, and a 3 axis mill, you will see no difference in the jobs that Bobcad can make over MasterCAM.

I just happen to have used them both, Im not a sales person, but I will recomend you to use Bobcad.

Colega

"User friendly" is not a description I'd use for Bobcad. Anything that you can do in Bobcad I can do in a number of other programs with less than half the number of keystrokes.

I understand that price is always a concern but my best advice to you is... call up guys the guys from Surfcam, Mastercam, Gibbs and Esprit to come out and demo their software along side Bobcad. If you then decide that Bobcad is something you can live with then so be it. You'll be a happy Bobcad user.

Best of luck.

I would always get a demo before buying anything and make it on a “real life” part not some slick demo where any problems have been sorted out, no one will tell you what their system cannot do and ultimately that is what will hurt you. Your needs will be different to others so what may suit one will not suit all.

Whilst price is obviously a factor IMO it is not wise to make it the main one, you are obviously looking to improve speed and profit make that the main aim.

If you want the cheapest option, do nothing it will not cost you a penny, however you may be out of business if all your competitors have invested in superior equipment.

Good luck, with any software it is a minefield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back