Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bodie Creek Bridge at 84 years 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Very interesting bit of family history. Well put together. Thanks.

By the way, that's one H%$# of a "creek". Is this a tidal river?

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

By looking to GoogleEarth photos is just an 150 m wide arm opening to a 3 to 6 km wide sea opening into one of the Falklands islands so it is quite likely to be tidal.

I like his comment about modern complaints that the brisdge is too tight to easily cross in a Jeep:

"Someone else complained that the bridge is very narrow, with a very sharp turn at the approach which made it quite difficult to use. Well guess what? Sheep have a tight turning circle. Anyway, I'll forgive him because he has posted a couple of really nice pictures."

I wonder why the bridge has not been dismantled to protect children who might be tempted to venture across despite the ban on vehicular and pedestrian traffic.

BA

Hi, I'm the author of the website about the Bodie Creek Bridge. Thanks for the link, and thank you for your comments here. (It would be nice to get some feedback directly on my site so that other readers could see what you have to say.)

I take the comment about protecting the site from children, but the bridge is very remote. There is no habitation for miles around and it is no longer a through road anyway. So I don't think it is likely that children would stray onto the bridge without an adult being present.

I did discuss the saftey issues with the Falkland Islands Tourist Board when I was building the website and they said not to worry about it. They have put up safety warning signs and barriers to make sure people know it's not safe.

Such a shame. It was a magnificent structure in its day, but has simply been allowed to decay over the years.

Thanks for your nice website and visiting us. Certainly it is always interesting to know about aged structures and remote places. This one was also a beautiful one, and for those that as myself that do not know much of old ready-made structures, a bit of news. Surely there were many structures being built such way (it comes to my mind the statue of the liberty, at NY, now) and I haven't met much about how all these things developed. So, to know if about even just one, it is a gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back