Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Body color randomly "zebra striped" when selected

Status
Not open for further replies.

heritagesurf7

Mechanical
Jul 13, 2010
US
I don't know the exact phrase for what is going on, but after applying a few split curves to a 727 I have created, all of my body faces are zebra striped when clicked. When I hide (not even suppress) one split curve, all of them disappear. Then, when I click a body face without the curves active, the surface is smooth again.

When the split curves are active, I cannot usually see the whole line, and seems to disappear behind the face of the body in some areas. My split option is "Projected" so why is the curve not projected evenly across the face?

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but I am trying to paint it in Photoview and the inconsistent faces are actually interfering with the paint. Not only will it not paint the entire face, but when I try to paint the areas that are messed up, the color bleeds over my split curves for where the color should end. Any help would be appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your first problem is that your card isn't approved for any version of SolidWorks. None of the GeForce cards are CAD cards. Whether they work can be hit or miss. There are those people who have no issues with them, aside from the lack of RealView, and there are others who have nothing but problems.
Good luck.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

The zebra stripes can be selected under view/display/zebra stripes. They show the image that would be cast in a room with many long fluorescent lights.
"sort of"

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2010 SP 2.1
HP Pavillion Elite HPE

Jeff, could definitely be the issue, but I don't think so just because it only happens during a very specific application, and have done similar splits that have no issues... but who knows, SW and the hardware together always make for some kind of random unpredictability.

Hardie, it's not actually a Zebra stripe issue, and that option is already deselected.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, and please let me know if there are any other ideas. Here's an image to help.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=11eb75ff-b07f-42d5-8629-577ef4508da0&file=not_working.JPG
Thats what I thought, but based on my interaction I have to conclude that it's only one surface... even acts like two surfaces when I paint. I can paint one part, and then the next, but can't select the two as different surfaces.

When I hide the split curves, only the lines disappear. When I hide the loft that created the entire fuselage, only the lines disappear(!?), not the body. In fact, after playing around a little, whenever I hide any feature that comes before the split lines, only the lines disappear and nothing else. Any idea what's going on with these split curves? It doesn't make a new surface, just splits a current one, right?

Any way to PM? Since it is a half personal, half work model, I can't post it publicly. Thanks a lot Jeff, you've been helping me out on several issues this summer.

Solved after looking through each feature again. When I added the long, sweeping split line, it split my body in two, which I guess changed one of my mirror references, from one of the engines to cover the entire body of the plane, thus doubling the entire thing. Pretty weird, but I just hid it.

You guys were right, two surfaces. I just didn't know why or where it was. Thanks everyone

Instead of just hiding it, expand the relevant (Surface or Solid) Bodies folder at the top of the FM, select the surface or body and hit Delete. The surface/body will not actually be deleted but will treated as deleted (or suppressed) only from the point of the FM where the Delete Body feature was created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back