Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Body control module? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidinindy

Industrial
Jun 9, 2004
US
We've got a 2003 Dodge Durango, and a lot of systems stopped working all at once. Power locks, headlights, interior lights, wipers, etc...
After talking to the dealer, and doing some Googling, it turns out to be a BCM... or body control module.
The vehicle has less than 50,000 miles on it, and the dealer originally wanted $1000 to replace it, since, it's not covered by the lifetime "powertrain" warranty.
Turns out this is not an uncommon problem, yet no dealer around the Indianapolis area had the part in stock.

So my question, from an engineering, and consumer standpoint is, what is the purpose of having all of these systems controlled from one module? What does it do? When turning on the headlights, shouldn't it just close a circuit, and turn them on?
What other $500 modules can i expect to have to replace?

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The point is reduced manufacturing cost, weight, packaging, system integration and reliability.

The downside is that when it makes smoke you spend big bucks.

If you bought the car new then I would escalate this back to Dodge.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

The term inherent recurring problem in this model often gets a reaction, especially if incorporated with I normally buy brand "X" because of it's reputation for not having "inherent---" followed by it seems I was wrong.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

"reduced manufacturing cost, weight, packaging, system integration and reliability."
Well, They failed on that last point.
Turns out, the BCM is actually the CTM or Central Timing Module. It sets everything so that things happen automatically.
Interior lights turn off a few seconds after closing the door, doors lock after a certain speed, dome lights turn off after 15 minutes if a door is left open, etc.

There was a recall on this module for this year for slightly different symptoms, but I am fighting with Chrysler to get them to cover this. Although the dealer is actually discounting it substantially in the name of customer satisfaction...

I can see having these convenience features, but it sure costs more to fix than a $5 headlight relay or oil pressure sensor for an older vehicle...

David

When customers stop mentioning these things as whybuys, we'll stop fitting them.

Incidentally it should be obvious to you that the CTM cannot possibly cost $1000, on a $20000 car. That should give you some more leverage.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

quote[They're easy to replace...get the id# you need, and get one from a junkyard and be done with it]quote

Somethings belong in the junkyard, and when it comes to repairing today's cars "the idea" that you can buy a used module and just plug it in is something that belongs in the junkyard. (attempt at humor)

Today, and Chryslers are notorious for this, all of the modules communicate. Imagine the OP's vehicle does not have theft deterrent, but the donor car does. As soon as you install the donor module into the OP's car it will teach every other module on the network that they are supposed to have theft deterrent and they will all be looking for the SKIM module code on the data bus to allow a start-up. Once taught, this cannot be unlearned. By trying plug and play you could have effectively made the vehicle inoperative at a cost many times higher than the original estimate. (In fact it is argued it's cheaper to install O.E. theft deterrent at that point. Fortunately I have not had first hand experience learning this the hard way.)

I did something dum earlier this week, I was instructing a class down in Miami and as I was packing my equipment I forgot my power adapter for my laptop. Oh well, just go buy another right? How much could a power adapter cost, heck I can buy a BRAND NEW laptop WITH a power adapter for about $500. The replacement power adapter was $140!!!! I didn't have much choice, I need my laptop daily.

Now back to the OP's situation. The real problem facing consumers is the fact that by and large only the dealer has the right equipment and software to replace the module and program it and others when necessary. Why is that a problem some might ask? Because to attempt to tool up and compete with the dealer to do this work is outrageously expensive for the independent technician. I should know because I am the ONLY independent in a quad-state area (Pa, OH, MD, WVa,) that is. That's an investment of almost $17,000 just for Chrysler badged vehicles. The dealer only tools up for the makes they sell. As an independent I have to decide if I want to be able to work on GMs, Fords, Toyota's, Nissans, Hondas, ect... Which BTW is my current list of manufactures that I do support fully identical to the appropriate dealerships.

From my research, I couldv'e gotten a module from a junkyard, and had the dealer flash it to the options our durango has... but who's to say that those from the junkyard don't have the same problems... some things I'll get from the junkyard, some aren't worth the chance.

David

davidinindy...

bingo...from the id number you can tell which does not have theft deterent...and therefore avoid what thecardoc is afraid of. On the side i work at a place where we sell over 200 cars a month..and work on most of them as well as others. We have put a few of the modules in (prob around 15-20 in the past 2-3 yrs out of many more sold and serviced), most from junkyards...had them flashed...and had no problems. Just suggesting from something i have first hand experience in. BCM's for dodges from junkyard...OK...now 2.7's...well that's another story....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back