Boilder Blowdown Piping Welding Certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostmeche

Mechanical
Mar 12, 2019
US
Hey, there.

I have a question regarding welder qualifications for blowdown piping of one of our boilers. We have two boilers feeding a common header and they produce saturated steam between 200-220PSIG. Each boiler's blowdown line is connected to a common header and go to a flash tank before going to a DA tank. We want to replace some of the piping in between the boiler and the flash tank since we have to replace some leaking valves and are starting to get pin hole leaks is some locations. This is in a paper mill.

My questions are:

1. Are there any certifications that are required for blowdown pipe welding? I am looking into ASME B31.1 and B31.3 to see what applies. So far, I don't believe this is considered a pressure vessel as it past the outlet of the boiler. I'm trying to see if we can fabricate the piping in house, we fabricate all our process water lines so we have very capable welders, and not have to source out a 4' section of pipe fabrication. We are a ways from any boiler contractor so costs start adding up for fabrication and shipping/delivery.

See attached image.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f0214ed3-ba26-4839-9578-c063678d2378&file=Boiler_1.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take a look at FIG 100.1.2(B.1) The pic clearly shows that this Boiler external piping and is considered part of the Boiler. See also B 31.1 124.1. Because This is Code piping and should be repaired by a R stamp holder. What Jurisdiction are you in?

A clark,

B31.1 124.1 is for temperature limitations. I'm going off of the 2016 version. Are you suggesting we may be above the temperature limits? Our feedwater comes in at about 240F which I don't see it being am issue in our application. Pleas let me know if I misunderstood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back