Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Boiler Blow-off Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamoffathoo

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2008
CA
Engineering is proposing to install 4"nps tell-tale drains immediately downstream of 4"nps boiler blow-off valves on horizontal lines. The idea is to give operators 'handier' drains to monitor. This arrangement is probably going to produce flow disturbances from drain water entrainment. Blow-off flows are 100lb/sec at 450 psig and 300 degF. I'd appreciate references to help convince Engineering of this folly.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just to let you all in on a secret...Yamoffathoo is actually a Design Engineer looking for like minds to support his position that an existing size-on-size condensate drain installation is a source of flow transients.

The members' lack of experience with this configuration would imply that it is not a recommended design.

Why all the personal attacks?

Bambie -- there were no personal attacks as no one knows you or Yamoffathoo or the company that you both may or may not work for. Additionally, I don't think anyone is interested in "taking sides."

The best way to solve these type problems is to gather tha data and facts to support what you're saying, not to take sides. Eng-Tips is a great resource, but it doesn't solve your problems for you -- more just point you in a direction to look.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

I meant to say that alot of speculation was aimed at Yamoffathoo's intentions and no technical comments directed at his question.

Anyway, since he can't log-on to comment on this, he asked me to post his home video of drain water entrainment using compressed air and ask our colleague 'rmw' if he would agree that this demonstrates the potential for flow transients.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f7ec6613-8cbc-46b0-8df8-323f1caca2b6&file=DRAIN_ENTRAINMENT.wmv
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back