Boiler Blowdown for Plantation

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAIZANYOUSUF

Mechanical
Jan 23, 2016
US
Hello experts,

Since days I have been thinking upon how to conserve boiler blowdown water or some of its energy. It is very usual to get heat transferred from it But I have no that requirement. I must use flash tank to convert high pressurized steam into condensate + flash steam. The condensate is to be used.

Out of nowhere, I get idea that could I use boiler blowdown condensate for plantation i.e. giving water to plant. I know it will be very hot but after cooling that is leaving the condensate for a day so that it can cool down.

My blowdown is not continuous but intermittent.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some things to consider about boiler blowdown:

Both continuous and intermittent blowdown are necessary to remove particles and impurities that accumulate inside of the boiler. Neglecting to perform this vital task will severely shorten the life of the boiler.

Some boiler operators have a clean source of make-up water requiring little blowdown, others have dirty make-up water requiring more blowdown

There are tens of thousands of boilers in the world, many try to harvest the wasted energy of the blowdown water by pre-heating the incoming make-up water.

Vendors offer complete auxiliary boiler systems available to accomplish this.

I would not advise using this hot contaminated water for agriculture ....

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

I'll second the comment by MJC.
This water will contain residuals of your boiler treatment chemicals, some of which may not be too good for plants.
The minerals are no issue.
You might be able to use the water for heat, such as in a green house.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

And remember if your blowdown is eventually drained into a stream, the hot water may kill aquatic life which is a consideration in the USA when water from condensers is released into rivers.

MJC,

Thanks a lot dear for sharing such valuable information. I have already water heating conservation in place via which water gets heat from gas engines and flow into the boiler feed tank. The problem in conservation of blowdown is that here Blowdown is intermittent.

So I think boiler blow off tank would be suitable here

From OP: Gerhardl,
Question is can boiler blow down water be used for agriculture?

From EdStainless: This water will contain residuals of your boiler treatment chemicals, some of which may not be too good for plants.

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back