Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boiler Efficiency 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnip

Mechanical
Oct 4, 2006
US
Alright, so I have a boiler right now. The company of the boiler went out of business and I'm left with no spec on this boiler at all. What ways should I go to find the efficiency of this boiler so I can compare this with a newer boiler?

Any suggestions would be greatful. Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What type of boiler is it? Is it high pressure steam, low pressure, water, etc?

What fuel is used to fire it? Perhaps you can determine how much energy you are putting into from usage figures and how much you are getting out?

i suggest reading your thermodynamics textbook. the information you need (if efficiency) is most likely contained therein.

good luck!
-pmover

It is a hot-water boiler burning on oil. I have figured out the energy being put into the boiler already, but just not sure how to figure out the energy coming out.

in the combustion calc's knowing the flue gas temp you'll be able to do the calc.
I'm guessing the eff. is 70 to 80 %.
good luck, rjoaks

Hi
What kind of instrumentation do you have ?
If u want to get the overall boiler efficiency u need to find out the energy going out through the hot water (MCP elta T...)

If you don t have any instumentation at all u could consider measuring the flow with an ultrasonicflow meter, and the delta T with surface temperature probes.

Thank you kenvlach,

I was given an old method of using O2 and flue gas, but it did not take into the account of the Radiation and Convection losses. After looking at the website, this makes a lot more sense.

rnip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back