Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boiler feed water pump with PLAN 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raju1980

Mechanical
Dec 18, 2012
FR
Dear All;

It's regarding the 3 number of Boiler feed water pump installed at site , all having API plan 23.

Following are the observation

As per API plan 23 the seal FO (Flush Out )should have more temperature and high point vent should be in this line

Flush in to seal from cooler should be of low temperature and temperature indicator should be there.

But in our case the flush out to cooler is showing (44.4 deg C (NDE side Mech seal) 38.1 deg in DE seal)

But flush in showing (46.6 & 40 deg respectively NDE and DE)

Questions are

1. Why Flush out as per API notation shows low temperature?
2. Why there is difference in DE & NDE mechanical seal?
3. If pumping ring is reversed during assembly, will lead to this situation?
4. What steps we can do to solve issue?

Thanks & Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume the operating temp is 180C+ Plan 23 at 45C is a good settle temp. I suspect pumping ring is in reverse to what it should be but who cares the system is working. Temp difference between DE and NDE could be related to lapping of the faces and fluid film thickness. Check the venting again. Nothing to worry about in your case. I doubt you will ever see them operate at identical temperatures.

Ain't broken don't fix it.

It is most likely that the pumping ring / screw is reversed. You might want to ask the seal manufacturer to design the pumping ring/screw that can be assembled in only one direction by adding a pin - Idiot proof!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back