Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boiler startup test and ensuring peak efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

mena1

Mechanical
Sep 22, 2010
CA
Hi,

During a boiler startup, (hot water heating boiler,condenser boiler) the specs call for adjusting boiler to ensure peak efficiency, how is this done?

Tests are performed at 100% load, 75% load, 50% load, and 25% load, what kind of tests are usually performed?

Thanks for all replies, appreciate your comments.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you ever done anything like this before?

rmw

If what you are asking is if I'm doing a startup, no. I'm interested in boilers, and I came across some reading and that got me interested.

I apologize,the above sentence should say the following:
the specs call for adjusting boiler "BURNER" to ensure peak efficiency, how is this done?

Thanks.

OK, it is done by utilizing test instrumentation in the flue gas exhaust and using readings of the constituents to trim the burner to obtain maximum burner efficiency.

Typically you want to minimize the O2 in the flue gas stream, maximize the CO2, while trying to have no CO.

Also typically, you don't completely eliminate the O2 from the flue gas stream, because if you do, you are operating with too tight a margin for changes in other variables that affect burner performance; atmospheric pressure and temperature of combustion air, as well as variations in the fuel.

So you get it as tight (low O2, high CO2, trace or no CO) as you can and strike a happy medium so that you can obtain decent values for all 4 points that you gave.

rmw

Though in todays world you are also trying to meet specific NOx levels also, which requires a lower flame temp than gets you maximum efficiency. The low NOx burner guys have very special procedures.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back