Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boiler steam pressure setting vs. max. capacity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

josemg

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2003
PR
Is it true that lowering the set point operation pressure of a boiler will give more efficiency with equal or more than rated capacity in lbs/hr?

What is the difference between lower than design pressure on a water tube and fire tube boiler ?

I have one 39,000 lbs/hr water tube and two 10,350 lbs/hr fire tube boilers and the design operating pressure was 125 psig but now they operate at 90psig. I still can only get about 40% of maximum lbs/hr of these boilers since actually the maximum is 20,000lbs/hr on the water tube and 6,000 on the two fire tubes.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On steam turbine units, operating the unit with lowest possible steam pressure helps in improving heat rate due to following reasons:

1. Lower leakages in the furnace/boiler which means low losses.
2. Turbine governer valves will remain close to full open which will result very low throttling losses and also result in less wear and tear of valves.

Keep in mind, i have said, lowest possible pressure. If you go too low, your steam flow requirements may not be met.

For example, if you can get 400 t/he of steam at 165 kg/cm2 pressure. Then by operating at 170 kg/cm2 will result in poorer efficiency. But def running at 100 kg/cm2 will not give you the same flow rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back