Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boiler tube repair or replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rme1997

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2004
US
I had a on going evaluation of our 60 HP boiler (Fire Tube), there was an water leak evident in the tube end of the second pass of the boiler. I already expanded the entire tubes 3 months ago.It is advisable to weld the tube end were the leaks coming out or replaced the entire tube with the new one t 2 1/2 inches diam. @ schedule 10. Please advise the best option.

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seal welding may not help.

1.You could have a scale build-up on the tubesheet resulting in excess heat. This could result in what is known as "fire checks" or cracks in the tubesheet. Suggest you perform suitable NDT when you remove the tube.

2.The tube may be over expanded due to a worn hole. If you go to a larger tube this would considered an Alteration. You could roll in a copper ferrule to address this.

3.Remember any welding on the boiler will need to be done by a qualified firm.

I would suggest you contact a good boiler repair firm in your area for a estimate. This can probably be fixed,but may require a new tubesheet and/or new tubes. Check your water chemistry and blowdown practice as well.

How many times has this tube been re-rolled, or better said, how many times has this hole been rolled with tubes in it?

rmw

If the leak is merely the result of tube end condition and not of a tube sheet condition, just seal weld the tube end.

Be very careful with the seal welding recommendation. The heat from seal welding can disturb adjacent roll joints resulting in chasing your tail to have a leak free boiler. Also, depending on how much crap is in the roll joint, the heat from welding will suck this stuff up into the weld deposit and you will have porosity resulting in a high risk of a tube to tubesheet leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back