Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

bolt and weld connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

tustry

Structural
Dec 7, 2004
US
could anyone please elaborate on the the comparative cost of field and shop erections of bolt and weld connections?

thank-you in advance for the great information!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It must be a classmate of yours who asked a similar question over in the welding & bolting forum. Look there.

This isn't really supposed to be a "do my homework for me" forum, but on the other hand this isn't exactly textbook information...I'm all for giving students a grip on reality. As long as there aren't 30 students from the same class all asking the same question!

Hg

thanks, i'll check there. fyi, i'm not in school, not taking a class, this is work related.
but thanks anyways! have a great day.

Things to remember...

Shop welding is always cheaper and easier and higher quality than field welding. Steel errectors like bolted connections. Field weld when required such as moment connections or for items such as roof truss to shoe connections. Welders have to lug around heavy welding cables and steel errectors have bags of bolts. If you are installing steel in cold weather, then the shrink of the steel can make bolting difficult. Try a means guide to get an "idea" of bolt/welding hours required....adjust hours as required

There’s some steel supply, fabrication and erection cost information in the Australian Steel Institute publication Costing of Steelwork from Feasibility to Completion (Steel Construction; Vol 30, No 2, 1996; but no information on the relative costs of shop -vs- site.

My preference is shop-weld and site-bolt. If you have to site-weld, then allow for a reduced factor of safety on the weld in your design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back