Bolt in shear

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerRanger

Structural
Jan 17, 2005
AU
Hi Fellows

I just have a questions about the bolt in shear. Usually, we design a bolt with a bolt hole D 2-6mm larger. So, if one column of 4 bolts acting in shear, will it possible that just one bolt resisting the shear force, and the other 3 still not touch the edge of the hole?

Did I think too much, or is there any method can prevent this in the design stage?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the ultimate load case there would be some joint slip so that all the bolts are resisting the shear (for snug tightened bolts).
Regarding the hole diameter, I believe the capacities are valid for bolt dia + 2 mm (+ 3 mm for M30 and greater). Holes of + 6 mm size would undergo excessive slip and shouldn't be used normally.
It should be appreciated that for a web cleat the joint shear capacity is not equal to the addition of the capacities of all the bolt. The capacity is reduced due to joint rotation. The reduction magnitude depends on support and beam stiffnesses, and the bolt configuration. The ASI (AISC) green book, Design of Structural Connections, gives design guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back