Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bolt Installation Procedure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapizo

Industrial
Feb 11, 2002
US
I was inquiring about an installation procedure for Type 325 bolts ranging from 1/2" - 1 1/2" for Structual. This should include Torque values, bolt tensions,etc.

Thanks
Lapizo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe you can download the "specification for structural joints using ASTM A325 or A490 bolts" from the AISC site. This will tell you every thing you need to know

RCSC has a publication;
"Allowable stress design"
"Specification for Structural Joints Using ASTM A325 or A490 Bolts"

You should find your answers there

I have an inspector whom wants my crew to install longer bolts (because the contractor does not have the correct length) and double or triple washer them. I am looking for hard copy printable specifications to prove to him this is a no no. I have been tought to put 1 bolt, 1 washer, 1 nut per 1 hole. the formula i have been tought is add 1 1/4 inch to the thickness of meterial and you answer is the length of bolt you need for a 3/4 and 7/8 diameter bolt shank and 1 1/2 for 1 inch diamter bolt shank. if i am wrong then so be it. but I do not want to waste time an materials.
jeff spoor
email at flaminganvil@yahoo.com

ironworker

AISC Specification for Structural Joints Using ASTM A325 orn A490 Bolts

Bolt Geometry." The lenght of of bolts shall be such that the end of the bolt will be flush with or outside the face of the nut when properly installed".

He should not require a bolt any longer than required to meet the above requirement.
Depending on the type of connection i.e. threads included in a shear plane, threads excluded, slip-critical, if the bolt is to long you could exceed the thread lenght and run into the thread run-out( the shank of the bolt without threads). If this occurs, validation of required tensioning is questionable.

Washers are not required for all connection using A325 or A490 bolts.
When washers are required they should be kept to a minimum (2)one under nut and one under bolt head if required.

RCSC has a publication;
"Allowable stress design"

How can I get in RCSC to download "Allowable stress design"?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back