Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bolt joint with metal to metal contact + oring design according to EN 13445 Annex C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihe

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2019
SE
Hi, I intend to verify a component, including a bolt joint, according to EN 13445-3 Annex C. My concern is how to show that the bolt joint fulfill the requirements according to EN 13445-3 Annex C.
I am familiar with traditional bolt joint calculations for example according to VDI2230. The bolt joint has metal-metal contact and an oring.

For admissible stress levels (design stress fd and ftest) Annex C makes reference to Clause 6. For bolts Clause 6 point to Clause 11 and 12 and further also to Annex G. Annex G makes reference to EN 1591.

Question: Do I have to dig deep into Annex G and EN 1591 to actually show that requirements are fulfilled? Or would it be allowed in a more simplified way to use the results from VDI2230 or even from a finite element calculation and show that requirements(according to EN 13445-3 Annex C) are fulfilled? For example define preload method, calculate bolt stresses in assembled and loaded condition, calculate contact clamping force etc according to CDI2230/FEA and then finally evaluate towards allowable limits that fulfill EN 13445-3 Annex C?

BR/Micke

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, Thank you for tour reply! I do not have access to BS or PD.
I have started to look into the details of Annex G/GA.
BR/Micke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back