Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bolt loading in ABAQUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dog2k5

Structural
May 4, 2007
US
To all:

I have been very unsuccessful up to this point at modeling a bolt load. The following thread was kind of useful: thread799-87731 but didn't explain everything. Could someone give me a brief step by step of the order in which things should be done (ie what step the bolt load should be applied and deactiviated, what step other loads should be applied, and most importantly what surfaces should be defined and how to do it). I don't understand how to define the pretension node or recognize it in the input file. If some one know how to do this and would be willing to be in a for maybe a couple of follow up questions I would appreciate it. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I checked through the examples and didn't see anything to useful but I may be missing something. The one I did see modeled the bolt and other part as just one part. My problem is trying to model the bolt as a separate part so I can model bolt slip. The other thing I don't understand is how to define the pretension node. Thanks for the help

Example manual:
1.1.1 Axisymmetric analysis of bolted pipe flange connections.

However, you may be able to get away with coupling instead of modelling the bolts if the stress in the bolts is not your main intrested.

I gusses what it mean by the pretension node is where the nodes lay on the surface that attrached to the coupling node. Hence, when you apply load on the coupling reference node, those tied nodes will be pretensioned. a easy way out is to created a new reference node as the coupling reference node instead of using the node that is already in the model. Noted that this is just my gusseses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back