Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bolt tension load approximation

Status
Not open for further replies.

guppers

Mechanical
May 6, 2017
US
Found this gem for tension loads in bolts on a bracket. But what in the world is that calculation/theorem/approximation called? I'd like to read more on it.

thread404-359827

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi guppers

The formula you are asking about isn't a named theorem but its based on the fact the joint is statically indeterminate.
The component parts held by the bolts or screws are assumed to be totally ridged and in order to get round the indeterminacy of the bolts its assumed that we have a load per unit length of the members between the applied load, pivot point and bolt positions.

Have a look at the file I up loaded in the thread you referenced it might help.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Thanks, Desertfox!

This may be a silly question, but which 12" are you using in that file? I wasn't quite sure when I looked at it. Also, did you find this in Bruhn, Peery, or learned it through the course of your career? That is a really helpful trick that should be taught, IMHO.

Hi guppers

In the file the 12" is the distance the external force acts from the pivot, this is balanced by bolts at 10" from the pivot and 2" from the pivot.

First found the formula years ago in a book produced by an engineering union called TASS

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back