Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bolt tightening Torque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Materials
Dec 5, 2010
NL

Can any one please tell me about the Calculation of Torque for Bolt tightening/ tensioning?

What is relevant standard?
What is formula? etc..

Thanks in advance...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME PCC-1 is a good place to start.

- Steve Perry
This post is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. It is offered with the understanding that the author is not engaged in rendering engineering or other professional service. If you need help, get help, and PAY FOR IT.

Hi,

There are two torque equations given in Bickford's book, the "long form" and "short form" equation. The long form factors more things in, the short one uses a nut factor as a sort of summation of all the variables. The short form is easy to use, however quite inaccurate. A bolted joint has, by my own count about 90 variables in it, so equations for bolted joints are not too accurate.

If you're dealing with bolted flanged joint, he goes into two methods, the VDI and ASME method. The ASME method is not really intended to get bolt loads for installation, however that is what its used for, like it or not.

ASME PCC-1 is also for flanged connections, it offers torque based on the size of the bolts. The new 2010 update is very significant, I only advise reading that one.

Please know that torque is a poor indicator of bolt tension. Even with a torque wrench, a scatter of 25% in bolt tension between bolts is likely.

Re-tightening afer 4-24 hours is always recommended in bolting texts, I would say it is absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back