Bolt torque-safety factor in member relation

Status
Not open for further replies.

takio

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2019
CA
Hello

When applying recommended torque from clamp manufacturer. (They said the clamp safety factor is 5, when using 109 ft lbs for 0.375 steel member.)
I get safety factor of 1.5~2 in members at bolt joint surface. but my requirement for the member safety factor is 3.
In this case, is this something that I need to worry about? because the manufacturer says it's ok to use the torque for 0.375" thick member.
or, is this something I just should go for a different clamp with less capacity, which means less preload.

I used FEA to see the safety factor.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

?

are you saying the the plates that the clamp is clamping aren't strong enough ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

what calc are you doing (on the plates) to make you think you're crushing them ?

Are you using the right strength for your material? Carbon steel comes in a wide range of strengths. Common structural steel starts at 36ksi yield while HSLA steel commonly used for lifting equipment is 100ksi.

Hi YOUNGTAKI

How have you established a 1.5 to 2 safety factor in the clamped components?

The manufacturer has designed those clamps to work on structural beams and I would think that They would have considered the steel grades of the beams etc before setting torque values for the clamps.a

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Hello all

I ran FEA to see SF on the carbon steel member.
I used Carbon steel yield limit = 46000 PSI
The carbon steel surface area that bolt contacts to : 0.3in^2
Applied preload = 10440 lbf (109 lb-in)
Stress = 34800 psi
SF = 1.3

Thank you for the information on HSLA steel

Hi YOUNGTAKI

I thought it would be the area of the clamp surface in contact with the carbon steel and not the bolt head, I also assumed that the area of the clamp in contact with the carbon steel would be larger than that of the bolt head. If this joint is purely static I don’t see a problem in any case.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

why run FEA when you're doing a hand calc (or are you checking your FEA ?)

Is fty the appropriate failure mode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back