Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bolt with thread near head 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidlandis

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2007
US
Hi,
I am looking for a bolt which is partially threaded but the threaded portion should be near the head of the bolt and the unthreaded portion towards the open end. The bolt size should be 5/16"-18 Grade 8 x 1/2" Long. I tried searching a lot but did not come across such a bolt. Can anyone suggest a blot or anything else which matches this description?

Thanks,
David Landis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this a joke? How would you start the nut with the unthreaded portion at the end opposite the head? Seriously, a 5/16 x 1/2 bolt will be fully threaded. Why don't you draw up what you want and give a machinist a laugh.

I think you want a dog-point tap bolt. Call your bolt supplier. You can definitely get it in a square head which is a setscrew, you might be able to get a hex head. Start looking.

Just make sure you calculate the minimum thread diameter correctly.

I did similar once and somehow got the wrong value, ended up with a nice spiral groove/very truncated thread!

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Do you mean something like this?

brake10.jpg

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Yeah Cory that is exactly what I mean. What kind of a bolt is that and where can I get it from?
Timelord you did not understand what I was talking about at all so I wont waste my time explaining it to you. You can a look at the pic that CoryPad has posted instead!

Thanks,
David Landis

The picture is from the Internet.

This bolt is a brake caliper bolt. Just about every automobile with disc brakes uses these bolts. You can find them at junk yards or automobile dealership parts departments.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back