Bolted Beam-Beam Splice connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

LearningStructEngg

Structural
Apr 29, 2024
IN
Hi All,
I am currently designing a structural steel beam supports for an existing slab, Actually there is an existing roof slab resting on walls of tank approx. dimension of slab are(25.7m x 5.8m x 0.25m thick) and now client wants to saw-cut a 2000 x 1000 m opening in the slab and need us to design steel beam support below the opening to resist any stresses induced.
I have attached the drawing of steel work proposed for reference
Now the Primary beams are subjected to UDL of 14 kN/m due to slab SW and Live load and two concentrated point load of magnitude 3.2 kN due from secondary beam connection.
the Max. Bending mmt at center of the span is 62.6 kN.m, Max. Shear at support is 43 kN and Max deflection 9.08 mm which is under control.
Section used for Primary beam (UB 356 x 171 x 45)
Now the actual problem is due to some site constraints the contractor and client requires a splice connection to half the beam span length and they are asking for splicing the bottom flange and web only. So is it possible to splice a beam at center that too only on bottom flange and web? Or is there any other solution for this case?
P.S. - Beams are needed to splice because of lifting into place constraints.
(Design is as per BS EN 1992-1-8)
(Beams are simply supported on both sides)

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=39564996-63da-43b2-9936-7e1b1d95e245&file=steelworks_02.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

to my uninformed eye, this seems like an excessive project for a student ? This seems to need more than the opinion of some guys on the internet ... I'd suggest seeking professional advise.

And sometimes the customer can't have what he wants.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

LearningStructEngg said:
So is it possible to splice a beam at center that too only on bottom flange and web? Or is there any other solution for this case?
You don't necessarily need to splice at the centre. Your beam experiences the max positive moment and flexural stresses there, it'd be excessive to splice there. Try splicing L/4 or L/5 away from the supports where moment is minimal.

Is the plan to provide a tightly-fitted compression block between the top flanges of the 2 pieces, so that the splice has the same depth as the beam? If not, then no matter how big the splice plates on the web and bottom flange are, the beam will have severely reduced capacity at the splice, because the top flange isn't part of the beam section at the splice, so its section modulus is reduced significantly.

For bridge girders, AASHTO doesn't allow splices like what is proposed, even with the compression block.

thank you all for quick response, Yes I was a little confused about the splice connection at centre and I dont know why I didn't consider to splice connections at L/4, as it would be much more feasible. Thank you BulbTheBuilder your help is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back