Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bolting bearing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamJ2

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2019
GB
Hello,

I would appreciate if anyone can let me know what is the easiest way to bolt a bearing with 5mm ID and 16mm O.D onto a piece of wood so that it stays in place while allowing a 5mm shaft to rotate. I have attached a photo of the component if that helps. Would putting the bearing inside a 16mm shaft support mount and bolting that work?

Thanks

Bearing
bearing_zbhr75.jpg

Mount
shaft_support_jxzvlb.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Alternatively I am thinking of using a miniature ball bearing with 5mm I.D and 10mm O.D and couple that with a 10mm I.D flanged bearing, I am not sure if that is going to work however?
10m_bearing_pr8li6.jpg
bearing_flange_cuaaxo.jpg

I think that your first arrangement would work just fine, as long as you don't over-tighten the clamping-screw on the mount, which could compress the outer-race of the bearing, potentially causing the balls to bind.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Cheers Jon! I will give that a go.

A bit out of topic but would have any guesses of what would be the cheapest way to measure the rotating torque of the 5mm shaft? It's relatively slow at 100 rpm and torque of less than 20 N.m. Thanks again.

"easiest way" would be a 15mm hole in the wood, and a hammer.

or a 16mm hole and some glue.

what does it matter if the housing rotates ? a 16mm hole (blind, ie not thru) would locate it within your wooden structure, then retain with a ply wood (or other) cover.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to hear discussions of using a precision device, toleranced to tenths of thousandths of an inch, intended for use in precision-machined bearing pockets and aligned within tenths of a degree...pounded into wood or clamped in a bodged up bit of aluminum...but whatever. I guess wear and durability of the bearing, or even maximizing its low friction capabilities, are of no concern. At which point just slop on enough hot melt glue to more or less adhere it to your tree branch, and commence clubbing whatever baby seal you are targeting, you philistine.[bigsmile]

where does the OP say he needs such precision ? starting with a wooden structure, pretty much all precision is off the table.

A valid (IMO) response is "why such a sophisticated bearing ?"

To build on what rb1957 said, if you go with a blind hole, you can also retain the bearing in the hole with a screw (or 2-3 screws) in the wood adjacent to the hole such that the head of the screw catches the outer race of the bearing. If you want some more ideas for mounting bearings in wood (and wooden machines in general), check out Matthias Wandel's Youtube channel, or his website woodgears.ca. He has made quite a few woodworking machines (bandsaws, lathes, jointers, etc) out of wood that you could pull ideas from.

Cheers for the response Mike, flanged bearing was my second thought and might just work. I imagine my second post with the images fit your suggestion.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion Buggar!

Stick, thanks a lot for sharing Mathias' channel, he has quite a large following I see!. I like your suggestion regarding the screws, I'm only using relatively low rpm & torque so I think it will hold in place.

btru, no worries, I realise it's just a joke, but as rb said precision is not really a priority for my application.

@btb … who've expected sarcasm here ? (I didn't read far enough to get to the emoji)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back