Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bolting design for Multiply wood beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyypk

Structural
Sep 29, 2004
US
For thru bolt connection in wood beam, often come across situation for side loaded , multiply beam, either same species or different species.

I know in NDS 11.3.8 that connection for 4 or more ply , each shear plane shall be evaluated as a single shear connection.

In a lot of example, for flitch beam (steel plate sandwiched by wood beam), the transfer of shear using thru bolt can be treated as Double shear.

Say for a (4) ply LVL beam, side loaded, What is the capacity of the bolt shear? Should we look at the first ply as side member and other ply as main member ? or should we take each shear plane as single shear and use the minimum x 3?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dannyypk said:
In a lot of example, for flitch beam (steel plate sandwiched by wood beam), the transfer of shear using thru bolt can be treated as Double shear.

In these situations you're usually delivering the load to the plies either side of the flitch plate and the transferring load from there into the flitch plate. As such, you've got equally loaded wood plies trying to slide vertically past the steel plate and being prevented from doing so by the bolts. Definitely double shear. Let me know if you don't see it.

dannyypk said:
Say for a (4) ply LVL beam, side loaded, What is the capacity of the bolt shear? Should we look at the first ply as side member and other ply as main member ? or should we take each shear plane as single shear and use the minimum x 3?

I think that you look at the first ply as transferring 3/4 of the side applied load to the second ply (side and main memebers identical thickness). That's it.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back