Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bolting for aluminim plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

spooky

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2002
US
I am using two thick aluminum (6061) plates to straighten and level a rail system inside a large vacuum chamber. I am considering the use of stainless (300 series) steel bolts for the adjustment screws as well as the hold down bolts. I am concerned about galling. Do I need to use chrome plated fasteners, or can I use other techniques such as slow easy tightening to prevent galling? I cannot use a lubricant because of the vacuum.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aluminum thread fastening is pretty much a one
shot deal, Moisture, (just humid air) causes
electrolysis between dissimilar metals.
I would recomend stainless thread inserts,
NOt heli-coils, for your application.

The SS inserts I found were 303 SS but they were passivated. Will there be galling problems with 303SS bolts? I need to use nonmagnetic bolting because in some situations a strong magnetic field is used in the sample area in the front of the vessel. The vessel will be under dry conditions (vacuum) 95% of the time.

You may want to look into Xylan coating (PTFE based coating)of the fasteners. As long as PTFE (teflon) does not outgas beyond your limitations, they should be OK. This coating is used on many thousands of bolts, nuts, and studs in the chemical and refinery industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back