Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bolting of Crane Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpsanfor

Structural
Dec 19, 2016
US
I'm working on a project replacing a telescoping conveyor boom. The rail is attached to the underside of the boom truss. The original rail was riveted through the base of the rail into the double angle bottom chord. We are using a WT as the new chord but still want to bolt the base of the rail directly to the tee. Is there any reason this cannot be done? Using clips would be more expensive and would require a wider/heavier section to make the attachment. Of course the clip manufacturers want you to use their clips but I know you can order rail that is drilled. Also, is there any information or guidance on bolt spacing out there?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Rail_Attachment_Section_sryl7c.jpg

Here is the rail attachment section. The flange would have to be wider and the tee section heavier to allow the attachment of the rail using clips.

You are correct. The 60 kips (worst case) is a vertical reaction force due to the weight of the conveyor boom truss. The above detail is a section of the bottom chord showing the rail that rides on wheels mounted on the main support structure. My question is about how it is attached and I think I have the customer convinced to use rail clips but ultimately cost will decide. I wanted to gauge if direct bolting as shown is recommended.

I suspect the lowest installed cost will be associated with hook bolts. The rail supplier can punch the holes in the rail web, and supply the correct hook bolts and nuts, given a reference to the WT's flange dimensions.

... It won't be quite as easy as installing crane rail with hook bolts on top of a W runway, where gravity helps to stabilize the crane rail until you can adjust and tighten the nuts. Your contractor might need shoring or large clamps for that purpose, unless they can invert the entire truss for a few hours.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Unless I'm reading this wrong, 60K tension on a 3/4" A325 bolt seems a tad high unless you are using adjacent bolts to assist... fatigue would be an issue to consider...

Dik

Thanks, I was just wondering what was holding the rail to the T section... assuming the loading was to the underside of the rail head...

Dik

How does the I of the WT compare to that of the double angle you're replacing?
I'm thinking you might need to add a flange to the web of the WT to prevent buckling.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back