Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bolts For The End Plate Moment Connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ypzhang

Structural
Jul 4, 2008
US
Hello everyone,

I am learning connection design now, I have a question about moment connection design:

For the end plate moment connection, must we use slip-critical type connections? what kind of bolts should be used? A325 OR A490?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Ping

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't see why you would need to use slip-critical bolts --since they aren't seeing any shear slip shouldn't be an issue.
As far as what you should use, that depends on the loads and forces that your analysis shows the bolts will see. You can use either.

Typical practice for end plate moment connections is to use either pre-tensioned OR slip critical bolts.

Per AISC, any bolted connection that has initial tension in it must be pre-tensioned. Since the top bolts of an end plate moment connection are usually in sustained tension (from dead loads perhaps) then the pre-tensioning is necessary.

Pre-tensioned bolts and slip critical bolts are installed in exactly the same way except that slip critical bolts require special inspections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back