Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOM Bubbles not consitent within one drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesusman

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2004
US
This is an outline form of our tube bundle parts:
Tube Bundle:
- Tube 1:
Fins
- Tube 2:
Fins
- Tube 3:
Fins
- Header (upper):
Pipe
Cap
Weld Flange
Couplings
- Header (Lower):
Same as upper

Each "-" represents a sub assembly and then they are all brought into the tube bundle assembly.

I need to create a drawing of the tube bundle (easy enough), but I also need to detail the headers and tube assemblies.

My problem is the BOM is based off the tube bundle assembly, but when I RMB click > drawing views > model and insert either the upper or lower header and bubble them, the bubbles start back over at 1. How can I tie these bubbles back into the BOM that resides on this very sheet?

For example, on the tube bundle plan view, the cap is item 9, but the same cap in the header detail is 3.

I know, I know, I should have them on separate drawings, but we've had a format for fab drawings for years and I have to maintain that.

Thanks for your help!

J.D.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you using the SolidWorks BOM not Excel?

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

If I understand, you are trying to drop in views of subassemblies into your main assembly drawing. SW really has no way to match up the balloons in that case. If you really want to continue this, you'll have to do views of your subassemblies by configurations of the main assembly with everything suppressed but the subassembly of interest.

Don't use configurations. Use display states to do this. It is much less demanding computationally on the solidworks model if you use display states.

Pete

First, read the help file. Search for "Display States in Assemblies" and read that section. Display states allow you to show your assembly in various ways without having to create a configuration to do this. You can hide parts, show them in mixed display styles (transparent, hidden lines removed, wireframe, solid, solid with edges shown, etc...), and show them in different colors and textures. You can have create as many display states as you want. Switching between them is instantaneous. You can reference display states in drawing veiws as well. So for your example, you could create a display state where everything but the subassembly is hidden and then save a display state for that. On your drawing you would reference that display state for your drawing view. The balloon item numbers will match correctly.

Will this help you?
I put two different assy’s onto one drawing sheet. Then put SolidWorks BOM table for one assy onto the drawing. Then I put SolidWorks BOM table table for then next assy onto that same drawing. The item numbers match their own BOM’s.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

Bradley - Thanks, but no, I need one BOM for the drawing. Afterall they are the same part. I have the Display states done, but am having trouble creating the views I need because they are already on the drawing. I will start a new thread. Thanks!

J.D.

JD,

On your drawing, click the drawing view and look at the properties for the view. Make sure the display state you are interested in is selected. You should now see your assembly in the desired display state in your drawing view. In 2006 and 2007, display states are configuration dependent meaning that display states are created and saved separately in configurations. This changes for 2008. Display states are above the configurations and are global to the assembly file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back