Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOM display of derived part (casted then machined)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhastlyGus

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2008
CA
We purchase a casted part, and then machine it. I'm having difficulty getting the BOM in the .sdldrw file to look right.

The casted part is defined in a .sldprt file, with a corresponding .sdldrw file.

I then create a derived part in another .sldprt file by "Menu >> Insert >> Part". Apply machining operations, and detail it in another .sdldrw file with a corresponding a name.

I want a BOM in the .sdldrw file, of the derived part, to show what it is made of. Which is the casted part, but the BOM will instead show the part number of the derived part.

The whole idea is that I want to communicate to the machinist, what casting he needs to use. This should be done with a print of the .sdldrw file.

How can I do this?
Should I completely re-think the process?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SW BOM's won't work for this.

I suggest just using a note. You could insert a view of the raw casting (like a small scale iso view) and attach a note to that view. If the note attached to the view, you can insert custom properties from the part in that view into your note.

Hi, GhastlyGus:

Your casted part (purchased) is "material" to make your machined version. On the drawing of your machined part, you should show your casted part as material ("Made from"). There is no BOM for a part. If you really want to have something look like BOM on the drawing of your machined part, you can use SW cutlist. A cutlist shows you detailed list of all bodies that make the part. You can call that a BOM if you want to.

I hope this will help.

Alex

Thanks Tick,

That sounds like a good option.

But I'm tring to stick to a personal rule, that I keep a ono-to-one relationship between part files, and drawing files. So a drawing file can only document (call-up) the part file with the same name. The above option would have the drawing file reference 2 part files.

I wonder how other people show this kind of info?

Thanks Alex,

Is ("Made from") an existing field within SW? Is it set in the part file or the drawing file? Or is that a note that is manually added?

I have no experience with weldments. Would the derived part need a "weldment" feature in it before the drawing file can add a cut-list?

Gus

When using a part as a base part in another part, you will not have a "one to one relationship"; both parts will be automatically referenced in a drawing. Check with File > Find References.

[cheers]

Hi, GhastlyGus:

Each part model (*.sldprt) should have a material custom property. If this part model is made from raw material, you enter your material information to this custom property. If a new part is made (or derived) from an existing part, this existing part will become material of the new part. In this case, you will enter your existing part no. into "material" custom property of the new part. If you make a drawing of this new part, you will show this material custom propety of the new part on your drawing.
You will see this material property where you normally show your mateiral of regular parts.

Yes, you need to create a weldment part in order to use cutlist (a BOM) feature on your drawing. A cutlist to a part drawing is just like a BOM to an assembly drawing. It will show you all bodies you used to create your derived part. I wish SolidWorks renamed this cutlist into something like body list.

Good Luck!

Alex

Hi, GhastlyGus:

Sorry I did not compeletely answer your question. "Made from" is not a custom property preset in SolidWorks. But, you can add it to your model if you want to. I do not use "Made from" custom propety. I used this term to show you that your derived part is made from an existing part.

"Material" custom property belongs to part model document (*.sldprt), rather than its drawing document. You should have a title block (sheet format) to show (or link to) a material property.

Alex

Alternatively, if you really want a BOM, you could insert your raw casting into an assembly and do the machining operations with assembly cuts...

dgowans,

I thought about it over the weekend, and I like the idea of using an assy file. It offers fewer modeling options to show the machining, but I think it simplifies the information I want to show. Thanks.

Gus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back