BOM format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendiriv

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2008
MX
Hello everybody

In my new job does not exist any format of BOM so we are now triying to define it.I need your help to anwer the following questions.

Do you know any standart that can help us to define the format?
What is the information that must to contain the BOM?
What is the best way to define the part numbers?

Any kind of help is very importat for us

Thanks a lot in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"What is the information that must to contain the BOM?"

Whatever you company needs. Usually just Item No, Part No, Qty, and Description.

Most CAD programs have standard BOM templates already formatted?

"What is the best way to define the part numbers?"

This is a never ending topic which has cropped up many times here. One of the best is thread559-45542

If you are attempting to make your drawings ASME compliant, then I'd recommend taking a look at ASME Y14.34M (Associated Lists) specifically section 5.

If in your discussions, the option to have a CAGE code or vendor included in your parts list comes up (for purchased or standard items), I'd throw my vote in against that. Some of our customers have included that information in their parts lists and it turns out to be a waste of time when we find out that the company listed went out of business years ago.

That may not even be an issue for your company, but my point would be just to keep the list simple and "timeless" if you can.

Mendiriv,

At our place, we have BOM columns for Manufacturer, part number and description. If this were to be done again, under my control, there would be one column, containing all three elements. When you insert a BOM on a drawing, there is always one part with a long manufacturer name, one with a long part number and one with a long description. All of this wastes drawing space.

Talk to your MRP/ERP/Purchasing department. Make sure you understand each other. Both of you use the same data format. You should be able to type once, use everywhere. Set up your BOM so that you can copy and paste out of it, into your purchasing requisition. This is way more important than having everything in one column.

Do not try to create an intelligent numbering system. Either, you will get the intelligence wrong, or you will enter the numbers in a blind panic and set up the categories wrong. Classification of your parts should be a separate field in your database.

Critter.gif
JHG

Attached is a sample of our normal parts list. It's based on ASME y14.34M-1996 although I can't remember how closely. It's placed above the title block which is fairly typical. I deleted part numbers, company name etc.

We have another format with 2 additional columns for "manufacturer part number" and "remarks" (which is usually manufacturer name). This is because of limitations imposed on us primarily by our ERP system regarding maximum number of characters in some fields. Because of its size, it is moved to bottom left. Normally used on assemblies that are manufactured externally so they can't look up manufacturer/vendor details in our ERP system.

Another thing to consider, do you want your parts lists on the assy drawing, or a separate sheet(s)?

As to part numbers, probably don't use a smart system, a dumb sequential may be best. This has been discussed at length several times, if not on this forum then in forum781. I know the search function on the site isn’t the best but the google search of this site, at the top of screen, works OK. It will be worth your time doing a search.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back