Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOM problems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnSolid

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2001
HR
I have tryed to adjust BOM for one of the company that intedet to use S.W. in the future.
They have standard that main assembly drawing is on first sheet of paper and the BOM is on second paper. So I run it some problem's;

1. How to put BOM on sheet other than source drawing ? I can put drawing in second sheet outside paper border, or just hide it, but that is kind slopy ...

2. Company's template for BOM is across whole page with fixed number of rows. Unused rows stay's empty. SolidWorks make BOM table only with rows that are needed, and so table is lower than I need. How do I make him to always build BOM with f.e. 20 row's (some used, some empty) ?

3. It seems that grid formating from excell (grid line's thicknes) is not visible in S.W. BOM, while font formating is ok ?

4. Size of BOM in Excell template and that BOM within SW are diffrent. In SW I get smaller BOM table (about 20% smaller)

5. .. because of that I can't format the rest of company's template of BOM (other notes and tables that Excell template for BOM doesn't inculde)

Software is SW 2001 (SP 0)

Maybe there is some good replacement for standard BOM command in SW that would be better for this solution ?

Tnx for any response...

1.set up a drawing template using an embedded excell template.however i have found that there needs to be a model present on sheet 2 but sometimes it will allow you to drag one sheet to the next
2.cant do number 2 the software allocates rows per part ive never found a way round this
3.the excell spreadsheet gets the information to format from the assembly template. so if you have 6 point high letters in the spreadsheet in excell it will default to whatever the assembly or drawing properties are set to
4.generally same as above

Part of this can be resolved with a macro in Excel(R). Create an Excel macro for your custom spreadsheet to set text format, column widths, row heights, fonts, lines and whatever else you want. Execute it after you insert the BOM template.

To show the BOM on sheet 2, insert sheet 2, stick in any old view, insert the BOM referenced to the view on sheet 2, then hide the view. The BOM is still there. This is not "slopy", it is technology.

I have no problem showing blank lines in a BOM. Just edit the BOM and insert how ever many lines you need and they will show up. You can type whatever you want in this part of the document. In fact, you may need to type a placeholder. A period or a space or a non-printing ASCII character should do it.

There is no reason the "size" of the spreadsheet in SW drawings should match what you see on the screen. You just need to set the column widths to suit what will show on a particular drawing format size. That means you will have a template or a macro for each paper size. The BOM feature sizes the sheet to whatever text is displayed when it first generates to the drawing sheet.

Crashj 'Lost In [paper] Space' Johnson

Ok, .. look's like I'm going to solve this with macro from within Excell, maybe even print whole BOM page from Excell, and use SW BOM command just to generate contest of table.

Tnx...

You may be able to insert a number of blank parts (file name would be blank.sldprt, blank1.sldprt, etc.) into the assembly at the places where you would want empty rows in your BOM then create a custom BOM and hide the column that SW created as PartNo. and insert a new column in its place called PartNo. You will need to change the new column definition (Insert/Name/Define) and give it a new name i.e. Part_Number. Then when you fill out the properties dialog box for each part leaving the name field blank for the blank parts. The result will be a BOM with a defined number and placement of empty rows in your BOM. This can all be done very easy and quickly with a VB form. Let me know if you need more information.

jtarter’s idea is a good one. We insert a placeholder for parts that are removed from a BOM. We have our automatic BOM update turned on, so we put a blank part called A00001 in solid assembly model stating, “Do not use”. Our BOM prints like the following:
Item Qty Number Description
1 1 A00001 Do not use

This way we make no changes to our BOM template.

Bradley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back