Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOM Table; Component Revision Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssmithdigilab

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2009
US
Does anyone here show the revision level of component parts in their BOM tables on assembly drawings? I can foresee that doing this will cause major problems in the future, but am being told that I must do this going forward...

What happens when you revise a component part that's used in a lot of assemblies? You now have to update all of those assembly drawings as well, correct?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like the "Full Employment Act for Drafters, 2010" because you will have to check all those drawings. If the rev level is a property of the part then the parts have to be updated, too. Good luck.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2010 SP 2.1
HP Pavillion Elite HPE

The rev level is supposed to be a property of the part, but the engineers in the past didn't use the revision system correctly. Most parts are checked into the system with the revision "-". So any new assemblies will need to have each of their component parts updated as well.

This can/will create a lot of work and some problems.
I suggest someone in your company have a thorough understanding of configuration management.

My suggestion is to have separate parts lists for each assy, maybe running within a database, that shows revisions. This way only docs get revised, not drawings.
A lot of companies do not bother with revs on assy's and BOMs, but is difficult later to backtrack what the product was built from.

Chris
SolidWorks 10 SP4.0
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

Hi, ssmithdigilab:

In Solidworks, part and assembly models have no revision. Only drawing documents of parts and assemblies have revisions. Revision of a drawing document of a part has nothing to do with revision of drawing documents of asseblies where the part is used.

Putting revision info in BOM Table is like picking up rocks and hitting one's own feet.

Best regards,

Alex

"In Solidworks, part and assembly models have no revision"
???? They do if the user (or the users employer) wants them that way.

The Add Prefix and Add Suffix options in SW Explorer makes it real easy to apply, and update, revisions in a parts numbering scheme.

I'm not promoting the inclusion of a rev number in the part number (or BOM), but your statement (while not wrong) is somewhat misleading.

What is possible, what is good practice, and what management wants do not always coincide!

ssmithdigilab, I recommend you think this through and pursue good practices as described by Alex. Your life will be much better for it.

- - -Updraft

Thanks for all of the input, everyone. Now I have some feedback to take to management.

One thing that I find amusing is that while on my first coop job (11 years ago), one of my tasks was to actually eliminate the "Rev" column from the BOM tables on a list of about 100 assembly drawings. This was necessary because we upgraded the material of a common component. All of those assembly drawings then called for the previous Rev of that component in their BOMs.

Don't do it! I know, it's not your call, but this will lead to lots of work, and mistakes, because unless you have people right now who aren't doing anything, you won't be able to keep up - think about it, every time you rev a part you must rev EVERY drawing it's used in. You won't be able to get them all, every time, and the info you are talking about adding will be wrong. My thought is that I'd rather be short on supplying information that is not strictly reqired than add information that might be incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back