Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOM with non-driven columns ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMichaels

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2002
US
Is it possible to insert a BOM in which the columns are not driven from a variable, but can simply be edited manually ? I have created such a BOM spreadsheet that inserts just fine and allows editing. However, after entering the text in the cells and closing the edit window, all of the rows disappear, leaving only the column headers visable.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Scott;
Why use a non-driven BOM ?
Some of my users want to have a BOM with stock sizes that are different than the finished part sizes used in the model, as in weldments, etc.

Probably you don't have a column labeled "partno" in your BOM template. Add that column and hide it. I suggest not to insert it at the end before the one labeled $$END but anywhere else. If you put it at the end the BOM in the drawing will have a small extra column. SW knows about this problem and there is no fix for it.

A better ideea is to have the stock sizes and any other information added to the parts as custom properties and link the fields in the BOM with them. When you edit the properties values the BOM will update automatically.

There are free VB programs available on the web that will allow you to edit the custom properties using a form. If you can't find one I will send you the one I am using and you can modify it as you need.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Andrew;
That is a good idea to add a custom property for stock size. I will talk to the mechanical designers about that. I will also experiment with adding the 'partno' column back into the excel spreadsheet. I have created my own VB custom properies editor last week, but thanks for the offer.
Don.

Don,

Why don't you make Configs of the part that has both Finish and Stock Sizes? Then you could use the Custom Property but instead use the Configuration Specific Property. That would help alternate between the two Configurations.

Then at the BOM level you can call out the Configuration Specfic property per Config. I did something similar at my last job.

You can also Customize your BOM as you like. Just don't delete the $$END. If the columns that are already there don't fit your needs. Simply hide them and add more columns in front of $$END.

I hope that helps, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

Scott;
Thanks.
Your suggestion with the configurations for finish and stock sizes is interesting. I am little concerned that it might add a lot of complexity to my VB custom properties editor. And I'm not sure if my users want to use configurations that much for simple parts. However, I will keep it in mind.

We have gone ahead and added a "Stock_size" custom property and I think that should work well.

Are you saying that the "partno" variable must be used in a BOM spreadsheet column in order for it to work properly ?

Don.

Scott;
Wow, that "partno" variable column is important. Thanks for the tip. I will add it back into my custom BOMs. Things just don't work right without it, for example the quantity doesn't work.
Don.

Andrew;
Sorry about that. GREAT TIP, ANDREW ! I put the "partno" hidden column to the right of the quantity column. Works great.
Thanks,Don.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back