Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bondable Magnet Wire Insulation Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAC3382

Industrial
May 21, 2006
US
Hello, All:

I would appreciate any help you may have to offer.

We are at the very leading edge of a production design for an OEM and manufacturing some proof of concept prototypes. I will need to hand wrap some very small precision coils using 28 gauge bondable magnet wire. The magnet wire is from Rae Wire and it is Reabond S (RSTA). (A multi-layer polyester - Polyamide/imide - and thermo-plastic cement.) When is teh best way to chemical strip the magnet wire? Is there a simple product to purchase which will allow for a "dip" style stripping of the lead-outs?

Thank you,

Mac

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no idea, but I would start by talking to customer service or engineering support at Rae Wire.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Might be worth giving these guys a ring: I did have a look for the MSDS to see what it contains but couldn't find one; my guess is it is probably a caustic material designed to attack the organic coatings.

We used to have a molten salt bath for stripping much heavier conductors but it was an ancient thing which was glared at from a safe distance by our health & safety folks. I don't think it would be suitable for such light gauge wire, and it would be more at home in a blacksmith's shop than an electronic plant.

The easiest way is to burn the coating off with a hand lighter, then clean with isopropyl alcohol. This will leave you with a clean copper wire end to make connections with.

hee hee! Coming back around to old posts:

Is heat an option? I seem to recall cleaning thread thickness magnet wire varnish in the past with lighter flame?

When I posted that, I could have followed up with I then stuck the wire into solder paste and tinned it and all was good too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back