Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bonding of Glass/Carbon filled Nylon

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglaw22

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2009
US
Hello,
I am new to the forum and the world of plastics. I have a part with some complex geometry that caused me to remove some features from the mold. These features will be molded separately and attached (hopefully right after molding). Material is 40% carbon or 40%glass fill.What are the preferred methods for bonding carbon or glass filled nylons.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not an expert on that topic so if for example Pat or Pud chime in, listen to them over me.

My instinct would be vibration or ultrasonic welding as they melt the plastic parts together to make a strong bond (better than glue for example).

Screws/bolts could work but then you have weak points where you made holes.

Chris DeArmitt PhD FRSC CChem

Consultant to the plastics industry

The traditional bonding agent is phenol. ... but it's nasty stuff to have around. Consider instead a purely mechanical joint, e.g. a snap fit.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Formic acid works well and is nasty but not as nasty as phenol.

The 40% filler, especially carbon as it is light and therefore displaces more volume makes it harder due to lack of resin to dissolve.

Cyano methacrylates (Super Glue) works with moderate strength. It is OK if the joint is well designed, like if it is already a dowelled joint or dovetail so the glue just supports it.

Ultrasonic or vibration welding can work, depending on part geometry.

Of course bolts, screws or snap fits all work, depending on part geometry.

If you have a shop that supplies winch handles for yachts, The Titan or Lewmar plastic handles are ultrasonic welded together with extra support by through bolts at the critical points on the longer handles. The twin grip long handle would be wrth your while to inspect in detail if you can.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back