Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bonding Polyethylene & Polypropylene to Acrylic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetherman

Aerospace
Feb 7, 2003
US
Does anyone know if there are adhesives for bonding Polyethylene & Polypropylene to Acrylic? Preferably anaerobic cure types.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Only adhesive I know about that will stick to untreated PP is PP based hot-melt. YH America or Aica two manufacturers.

Howver, it is NOT considered to be a structural adhesive.

I think there may be a product that will do the job, it is acrylic based and is manufactured by 3M it may be worth a try

it was known as dp 400 but I when I used it but I think there is a new formulation and product code now.

3M Scotch-Weld Acrylic Structural Plastic Adhesive DP8005.
Remarkably, this actually bonds very well to polyolefins. I've been testing a glued drop on PE film, and it has survived months in 180 F water. It's a two part adhesive, 10:1 mix, and it contains micro-beads for gap registration. There's quite a bit of shrinkage upon curing. Uncured, it flows slowly under gravity.

LiCl (Industrial) May 22, 2003
3M Scotch-Weld Acrylic Structural Plastic Adhesive DP8005.
Remarkably, this actually bonds very well to polyolefins. I've been testing a glued drop on PE film, and it has survived months in 180 F water. It's a two part adhesive, 10:1 mix, and it contains micro-beads for gap registration. There's quite a bit of shrinkage upon curing. Uncured, it flows slowly under gravity.

In addition to LiCl's contribution, I would like to add that even though there is sufficient mechanical bond using the DP8005, I have found (through recent testing) that in many applications, due to the micro-beads for gap registration, the bond is succeptable to "leakage" and doesnot promote a "sealable" bond for sealed bond applications of the 3M product.

Using primer "promoters" with some of the various 3:1 to 10:1 epoxies does show promise with polyolefins for a "sealed" bond application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back