Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bonding Polypropylene to CPE (Chlorinated Polyethylene)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman70

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2008
US
I am trying to bond a Polypropylene honeycomb to a Chlorinated Polyethylene sheet that has a non-woven polyester laminated to it. I have tried using 3M's Scotch Weld DP-8005, but with limited success. It sticks, but peels quite easily. I am working with some hot-melt companies, but I would prefer an adhesive that sets up a little more rigid than hot melt. There is going to be some compression on top of this substrate, and I am concerned with the movement of hot melt in between these two materials.
Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are working with low surface energy materials. You must prepare the substrates by raising the surface energy with a primer. Then you may find a cyanoacrylate will work depending upon the stresses, heat and chemical exposure.

Bear in mind, when using a polyolefin primer, the surface energy will only be raised for a window of time---usually around 20 minutes. After that time, the surface energy will dissipate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back