Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bonding Rubber to Mild Steel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

getshorty65

Materials
Apr 22, 2009
Hello Folks,

Ive been given a design to build which is in effect a plate for a bridge expansion joint. This constitutes two plates sandwiching a section of rubber. As the metal plates will be on a road surface im looking to find a way of providing some corrosion protection for the metal, which would be impact resistant but would also give a good surface to bond to. Any ideas.

cheers Shorty

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think copper plating was successfully used to enhance bond to the steel wires used in steel belted radial tires.
The correct cleaning and prep of the copper was probably a secret.

We had very good success with rubber bonding to mild steel shapes using adhesive primers (applied prior to transfer molding and curing) that our vendor was familiar with. We had thought that copper plating, or plasma-spray with brass/bronze would be required, but as I said, were very pleased with the bond strength of the primer. Contact the chemist at your vendor and ask them what they would recommend.

Tmoose - the tyre industry uses brass plated steel wires and the rubber compounds contain a small amount of cobalt salt (usually about 1phr cobalt naphthenate).

Does the assembly need to be continuous for the full width of the bridge or can it be in sections? For a continuous length, I think a place to start would be for the steel substrate to be hot dip galvanized with a longitudinal slot so that an extruded rubber section can be fitted. For sections, I think Graham Bennett's idea would work, much like Andre bridge bearings. There would be no need for corrosion resistant plating as the rubber itself provides the protection. The use of Chemlok rubber-to-metal bonding agents would be advisable available from Lord.

Conrad.

We've had excellent success in the past with Zinc Chromate or Zinc DiChromate plating on steel parts with robber bonded in between the plating. With the addition of a chemlock adhesive primer it gives an excellent bond with most rubber. The plating will protect the steel from the hard elements it will see on the road surface.

We've done numerous custom projects similar to this, if you'd like more information or have any more specific questions feel free to visit our website or email me personally at Nkuzmick@timcorubber.com

Hope this helps

Nick Kuzmick
Timco Rubber Products

I used to modify the surface of the metal using UV and after used a water based adhesive.
Perhaps it can help you to solve the adhesion question on treated metals.

Please contact Tack-Service on Germany: Mr. Emil Schmid -
tackservice@aol.com

On the last IRC2009 in Nuremberg I talked with the person that I referenced: Mr. Emil Schmid and he showed to me a gasket made in this process.

I think if you ask direct to him he could explain to you better, because is related to activation of the atoms on the surface of the metal, like plasm does and deppending on the metal surface you need to adjust the UV frequency. Emils has papers relating this experience.

Mr. Emil Schmid - tackservice@aol.com

Luis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back