Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Book Cover Preference

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESPcomposites

Aerospace
Jul 27, 2010
US
I really didn't know where else to ask this question, but since engineers are the final audience, I can't think of a better place.

As a working engineering, which would you prefer in a book cover?

Option 1: Faux leather with foil stamping. Just the title, author, and perhaps a simple image would appear on the cover, much like this:

Option 2: Or a "typical" book with a high resolution image and modern design?

Personally, I like the simple book with faux leather. It looks more professional and just has the necessary content. I find other covers too busy and a modern image today is a dated image tomorrow. But I want to please the reader first so I might change that opinion.

Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am still kicking it around, but either way, the title and spine will be very clear (high contrast). The graphics will be minimal, but relevant, as shown in the tentative designs.

I think it will come down to the quality of the faux leather. If it is convincing, durable, and "appropriate", I will probably choose this route. If it does not meet my standards, then I will just go with a conventional litho wrap book.

Brian

Brian,
If you can do it, put the type reading horizontal on the spine, so I do not have to cock my head to the right to read it. That way I can find your book faster on the bookshelf.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

berkshire,

I will try to, but it will depend on the title length, spine width, font size, etc. It is a very easy thing to implement if it makes sense.

The other way is use a "unique" color scheme, such that it stands out from other books (i.e. you can recognize it by the overall look). For example, I plan on using a blue background with white letters, which is not common. This will also has high color contrast. I am amazed at how many books have low contrast, which makes them hard to read. Either way, the spine design will not be taken for granted.

Brian

Perusing my Limited edition "Far Side" boxed set, I notice the books are bound in conventional "Book stuff",titles gold embossed, but the slip-box is illustrated with flying cows, which adds to the perceived value.

Be careful with the unique color. I've got two turquoise books on my shelf. One is a useful Fluids book and the other is a worthless Statistical Thermodynamics book. I hate the statistical thermo book so much that I can't even see the fluids book on the shelf. Guilt by association is a tough thing to overcome.

David

Not really what the OP was looking for, but I like to cover books that I might carry around in my soft bag or napsack for awhile.

I found that Tyvek shipping envelopes make nearly indestructable water proof book covers.

That stuff is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back