Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Book Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan2674

Automotive
Aug 13, 2009
DE
I am basically a "newbie" to the field of CATIA V5. Everyday I learn something new. I am interested in learning more about macros, and writing and executing UDF´s. Also, the field of FEM is one where I would like to try my hand at. Can anyone recommend a good book / web resource where I as a complete beginner can start ?

"Das Beste Oder Nichts"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've not looked at many books on catia, having learned on courses and on the job, but I think the SDC publications series look quite good. I get my student son to borrow them from the university library!
I'm currently working through the FEA tutorials book.
Interesting, but I don't think English is the author's first language so the occassional word is not quite right!

You can find SDC at or
J

Thank you for your valuable replies. My signature belies my knowledge of the German language. I am not a fluent German speaker, and thats why I am searching for books in English. :-D

I have had a look at the 'CATIA V5 - Effiziente Konstruktion mit Makros' book. But its in German, so am not making any progress. %-)

"Das Beste Oder Nichts"

Thanks CEROG for your recommendation, I have to go in Hamburg till the end of this year (my plan was to go there in august but I had a lot of problems and I couldn't go) so I will try to buy it directly from Germany, I believe I can handle understanding the German language.

Nice to see new books, in my opinion there is not so much documentation about CATIA programming and the German books are definitely very good.

Regards
Fernando

@CEROG

Could you name the english books you found at amazon. I can type the name in the search box ofcourse, but I dont know which ones would suit me (as a complete beginner to VB). Are these books relevant to macro programming in CATIA ? Which one do you think would suit me ?

"Das Beste Oder Nichts"

Spartan, in fact I can't recommend any of the english books. I know only one of them: Advanced CATIA V5 Workbook - Konwledgeware and Workbenches. I was disappointed about that book because I'd expected more about Knowledgeware.

Others are:
- Catia V5 Workbook: Release 16
- CATIA V5 FEA Tutorials Release 16
- Catia V5 Workbook Release 19

I do not know whether there are english books about VB-Programming in english because I didn't look for them. German is my first language so I could read the books of Jens Hansen and Dieter R. Ziethen and many others.

Regards,

CEROG

CEROGs CATIA Blog(German):

I started scripting with VB for dummies, or VBA for dummies. Even if the book was talking about Excel I manage to understand what I needed to work with V5.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back