Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Book recommendations for Mechanical Engineering 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximise

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2009
GB
Hey guys, thanks for all your help on previous posts. Always extremely useful.

I am looking for the same reliability but in a book. Yet to decide on which definitive mechanical engineers' handbook to invest in. Perhaps there's more than one I should get.

Does anyone read any of the following? Can you recommend any other useful reading material?

Mechanical Engineer's Pocket Book

Mechanical Engineering Principles

Mechanical Engineers Data Handbook

Much appreciated as always.

Yours,

maximise

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know what's considered the 'standard' today, but when I graduated from engineering school 39 years ago, the first book I purchased that was NOT a 'textbook' was the 'Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineering', by Baumeister & Marks. Another one that comes in handy is 'Formulas for Stress and Strain', by Roark. And while it might seem a bit pedestrian, I've found that the 'Machinery's Handbook' is worth its weight in gold.

And I still find myself, even in this age of computers (and I'm in the software business), the Internet, with its Google and Yahoo! search, that I still have one or two engineering reference books open in my office most of the time (I'm working at home this weekend on a special project and brought home all of the above mentioned books, as well as a couple of others, as I just like to have this stuff close by when and if I need it).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I second the recommendation for Marks' Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, Machinery's Handbook, and Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain. The former two are stuffed with useful information for the practising mechanical engineer. The latter is useful for stress and strain calculations because it has no-nonsense formulas and it does not go much into derivations.

Bruce aka Tunalover

PJones said:
Those 3 are all excellent, and I would include Mechanical Engineering Design by Shigley and Mischke.

That was one of the "others" that I mentioned in my original reply.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

It is now Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design (Mcgraw-Hill Series in Mechanical Engineering) (Hardcover)by Richard Budynas (Author), Keith Nisbett (Author). Easily the greatest ME reference of all time. Any addition from the 5th on (excluding the terrible 6th edition by Mischke) is worth its weight in gold.

ZCP

I guess this will date me a bit, but MY Shigley's 'Mechanical Engineering Design' was actually written by Joseph Edward Shigley, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan (Copyright 1963) and for which I paid the staggering sum (which at the time it was) of $13.50 new from the MTU bookstore.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Most text books are available as part of membership of a professional engineers isntitution. Suggest you join IMechE or IEAust. I have over 3000 books available from 3 electronic libraries. I am selling my hard cover books for the space.

It depends what type of engineer you want to be and in what idustries.

Cost of postage from Australia may put you off. geoffrey.stone at yahoo.co.uk

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ebdda7c2-3cae-454a-977d-c44f1dd255e9&file=20100514_Engineering_Textbooks.xlsx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back